We are currently experiencing technical difficulties.
Another challenge and well it didn’t go so well!! As for taste and overall ease it was a good one. As for what I envisioned and what I executed that is another story, which I choose not to bore you with at this time.
The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE’s blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.
We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.
As is typical of DB challenges we were given a bit of leeway with what we could do with a particular element and the ice cream in this challenge was where I chose to play. Aside from steak my all time favorite flavor on earth is dark chocolate and orange, so I decided to use a recipe I ran across awhile back but had yet to have reason to make.
from Fern Glen Inn B&B
I followed the recipe to the letter with only an addition of 1tsp. of orange extract. Fan-freakin’-tastic!! This stuff had the power to hide a multitude of sins and considering what I did to the Valentino, I guess I made the ice cream work overtime!!!
Now for the sad sad details of a simple 3 ingredient cake!!! I had on hand some Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate, so I didn’t run out for the bitter chocolate that I wanted. I figured I would add just a smidge of the hersheys special dark cocao I had as well, that would give me more the flavor I wanted.
RED FLAG #1
(don’t change that which you have never done before)
I melted the chocolates together and well I ended up not with that lovely molten chocolate texture I know and love but something a bit more paste like. It hadn’t seized but it wasn’t right, it just was too dense for those delicate egg whites to stand up to.
RED FLAG #2
(listen to yourself, you know damn well better than that)
So on to the folding of the egg whites I went, yea I deflated them more than I knew was good but they still had enough lift that I figured it wouldn’t be a total loss. Which to tell the truth it wasn’t.
The end product was a little “shorter” than expected and hoped, as I was going to split the cake and create a lovely layered look. And since that didn’t happen, please see the above photo of a snowy screen.
What I planned for and what I ended up with are polar opposites but the overall taste factor was very good.
Here now are a few photos of the progress before I realized my vision was for naught.
As for a final photo of the finished product…. truthfully I wasn’t about to waste the pixels!!!!! It tasted great but it “weren’t” so pretty. Please though look here for other great and talented bakers who managed to bring their vision to the plate.
Luckily for me there is next month!!!!